Wednesday, October 04, 2006

You might like this book too


This is one of my favorite funny books I guess some of you might like too. I find people who are able to laugh at themselves very interesting. Susan Jane Gilman is one such writers. Let me share with you an excerpt from Chapter One -

WHEN I WAS LITTLE, I was so girlie and ambitious, I was practically a drag queen. I wanted to be everything all at once: a prima ballerina, an actress, a model, a famous artist, a nurse, an Ice Capades dancer, and Batgirl. I spent inordinate amounts of time waltzing around our living room with a doily on my head, imagining in great detail my promenade down the runway as the new Miss America, during which time I would also happen to receive a Nobel Prize for coloring.

The one thing I did not want to be was a hippie.

"For Chrissake, you're not a hippie," said my mother, fanning incense around our living room with the sleeves of her dashiki. "You're four years old. You run around in a tutu. You eat TV dinners and complain when the food doesn't look exactly like it does on the packages. Hippies don't do that," she said. "Hippies don't make a big production out of eating their Tater Tots."

"Come to think of it, hippies don't torture their little brother by trying to sell him the silverware, either," she added. "If I were you, I'd worry less about being a hippie and more about being an extortionist."

But even by age four, I was aware of my family's intrinsic grooviness, and it worried me no end. Like most little kids - or anyone, for that matter - I suffered from contradictory desires. While I wanted to be the biggest, brightest star in the universe, I also wanted to be exactly like everybody else.

The blurb says : Based on the belief that there's more to women's lives than just getting a date, Gilman's stories tell of struggling to get a life and a clue - and engaging in some spectacularly demented behavior along the way...

No comments: