Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Not Bitchy, Just Very Observant




Sometimes when you just want to read to relax, you want something entertaining that talks to you.

I'm not a big fan of Andy Warhol's art but I enjoy the way he thinks and says what he thinks. I have read this book many times over and I admit to subscribing to some of his personal takes on the little things in life.

This book was written in 1975 but most of its context is still largely relevant.

Here are a few of my favorite paragraphs :

On Beauty - When I did my self-portrait, I left all the pimples out because you always should. Pimples are a temporary condition and they don't have anything to do with what you really look like. Always omit the blemishes - they're not part of the good picture you want.

On Time - I really do live for the future, because when I'm eating a box of candy, I can't wait to taste the last piece. I don't even taste any of the other pieces, I just want to finish and throw the box away and not have to have it on my mind any more.

On Love - People's fantasies are what give them problems. If you didn't have fantasies you wouldn't have problems because you'd just take whatever was there. But then you wouldn't have romance, because romance is finding your fantasy in people who don't have it. A friend of mine always says "Women love me for the man I'm not."

On Drags - Among other things, drag queens are living testimony to the way women used to want to be, the way some people still want them to be, and the way some women still actually want to be. Drags are ambulatory archives of idea moviestar womanhood.

No comments: