Monday, May 12, 2008

Why Is Something Nonedescript Attractive To Me?



We were filming So Simple in Tokyo. I also sat at the spot where Peifen is sitting in this picture. It was near the treehouse cafe featured in episode 7. The neighborhood was a very simple and quiet one, despite it being smack in the middle of the city. The buildings, all not more than 5 stories tall, were quietly leaning on one another, looking neighborly like old friends. The sprightly looking vending machines made passers-by stop in their tracks and take time to glance over the neighborhood as they waited for their drinks. As I sat there with a can of warm milk tea in my hand, I noticed nothing special nor nothing shouting for attention. Yet, in that state of nothingness, there was a strong feeling of peace that made me beauty that is introverted and unassumingly diginified.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm like you, I enjoy doing simple things when I am traveling, like sitting at a cafe, even if it's in a non-happening neighborhood, watching people going by with their everyday routine.

Anonymous said...

nicely put, mian. i like the way you note your observations. the simple tone of your emotions totally describes the places you've been. it seems like i have found a friend in you too, just like you have found yours in your favorite author, helene hanff. i started reading her books after hearing your stories... thanks!