Sunday, May 18, 2008

My Favorite Author

My all time favorite writer is Helene Hanff, and my most favorite book of hers has to be "Letter From New York". It's a simple and non-fancy book, the author feels like someone you know. Indeed, Helene Hanff writes like a friend, talking vivdly about the city she had lived all her life. I often find myself seeking comfort in her words and even imagine living in New York City, sitting on the steps of her apartment building with her and her neighbors' friendly dogs, talking about everything under the sun.

Helene Hanff made me love books and opened my mind to reading. Sadly, she passed away in 1997. However, thanks to her books, I remain comforted in this friend whom I have never met.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi mian,

do you know 84 charing cross road was made into a movie starring anne bancroft and anthony hopkins? the trailer is avail here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs01gT67upE

Anonymous said...

hi anonymous, do you have a name? so you don't stay anonymous? would be nice to call you by your name tho. yes, i'm aware. but i'm not really keen on watching the movie tho. prefer it in a book. thanks anyway for telling me. you're very sweet.

Anonymous said...

i remember 84 charing cross road. read it many years back. nice book.

Anonymous said...

hey mian, the book sounded interesting so i went to the bookstores to look for it...but they don't sell it! only 84 charing cross road was available so i bought it anyhow. i'm reading it right now. love it! thanks for recommending.